Monday, September 7, 2009

Squared and Planted

We put the grid across the top of the garden box to make it an official square foot garden. The squares look awfully small. It will be interesting to see how much food I actually get from it.

Planting peas. I just used my finger to poke holes in the soil. It feels like sticking my finger into a really dense, moist chocolate cake! (In fact, I've been craving cake ever since I planted.)

My dh built this cage to protect the garden, especially from the cat (who might think it's a giant dirt box just for him). I can also drape shade cloth over it if the weather gets hot again.

Detail of the garden cage. It's made of pvc pipe and mesh. The whole thing lifts easily off the garden box.

2 comments:

  1. I would think it would be hard to dig around in the dirt with the wood grid on top,can it be removed to amend the soil

    ReplyDelete