Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Filling the Box

I cut weed cloth to fit the box, then positioned it and set the box on top of it. I decided to center it against the edge of the patio, because I can see my new box from my kitchen window. That way I hope I'll remember to keep it watered.

Now it's time to mix up the potting soil. The method described in The All New Square Foot Garden worked really well. I was able to handle 8 cubic feet of soil myself. (Although my should does hurt a little now!) I spread out a big tarp and poured out my three kinds of compost and mixed it together with a shovel.

Then I added the vermiculite. The mixing method is to fold over the tarp and pull it so the soil rolls over itself. Then walk around to the next edge of the tarp and repeat till it's well mixed. This picture is the mixed compost and vermiculite.

Next I added the peat moss and mixed by folding and pulling the tarp.

Then I pulled the tarp up to the edge of the box and dumped the soil in to fill it up one third of the way. Next I thoroughly wetted the soil, and then continued to add layers. The whole process took me about one and a half hours to mix the soil and add it to the box.

Here's the finished 4 foot by 4 foot by 6 inch box, filled with soil. My calculations were good and the box is filled just to the top. Amazing!

2 comments:

  1. I'm just getting caught up. Interesting process. I like all your pictures showing everything step-by-step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that: all it ever takes is 6th grade math!! Glad it all came out correctly. PS What is the different ways to "comment as"? I choose Google account . . . . love from your sis

    ReplyDelete